Global Village - 05.08.09 Sergio Mielniczenko
Questions and comments email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To listen or subscribe to this show's podcast, you will automatically receive it weekly. Listen to it on your computer or mp3 player: http://archive.kpfk.org/parchive/
This morning on the Global Village we chat with writer Pwuong Cac Nguyen. at 11:000 the group Agua Livre and at 11:30 Peter Fetterman talks about the leture and fundring of Brazilian photographer Sebastião Salgado. It music from aroudn the planet on the Global Village.
Artist – Tune – CD - Label
1. Tutty Moreno Feat. Joyce - Algo Sobre - Mágica Farout Recordings
2. Suba & Cibelle - A Felicidade - Sao Paulo Confessions - Six Degrees
3. Otto - Basquiat - Condom Black - Trama
4. Luciana Souza - Adeus America - Tide - Verve
5. Sheryfa Luna - Ce Qu'ils Aiment - Venus - U.L.M.
6. Feist - The My Moon My Man (Grizzly Bear Remix) - Reminder: Deluxe EP - Polydor France
7. Great Nort hern – Houses - Remind Me Where The Light Is -Eenie Meenie
8. Weepers Circus - Tout le ionde Chante - Weepers Circus en concer BAZ PROD. - XIII BIS RECORDS
9. Franz Ferdinand - No You Girls – Tonight - Sony / BMG
10. Shawn Lee - Too Tired To Sleep (featuring Fanny Franklin) - Shawn Lee Presents Soul In The Hole - Ubiquity
11. Nomo - Invisible Cities - Invisible Cities - Ubiquity
12. Rosalia De Souza - Luiza Manequim- D'improvviso - Shema
13. Buraka Som Sistema - D... D... D... D... JAY (feat. Petty) - Black Diamond
14. Depech Mode - In Sympathy - Sounds of the Universe - Capitol
15. Cecilia Noel - Candela - A Gozár! - Compas
16. Bob Dylan - It's All Good - Together Through Life - Sony / BMG
Sebastiao Salgado: AFRICA
04/28/2009 - 09/30/2009
Peter Fetterman Gallery is pleased to present the exhibition Africa by renowned photographer Sebastiao Salgado. This exhibition runs from May 13 through September 19, 2009.PLEASE SEE NEWS SECTION FOR INFO ON SEBASTIAO'S L.A LECTURE and BENEFIT.
Dinka cattle camp of Amak at the end 0f the day, when the herd is back in the camp for the night. This is the most active time in the camp, Southern Sudan
“one of the world’s most celebrated documentary photographers” and “his...images...have cult status among photography lovers.”—New York Times
Traveling constantly across Africa, Latin America, and Asia, Sebastião Salgado has documented the human toll of violence and migration in visually stunning photographs of manual laborers, refugees, and sprawling metropolises. The 2001 documentary Salgado: The Spectre of Hope chronicled the creation of his series of photographs, published as Migrations: Humanity in Transition. In 1998 he established the Instituto Terra with his wife to restore biodiversity to the Atlantic Forest in Brazil, encourage sustainable development, and conduct research and environmental education. He has been honored with the Hasselblad Award, Photographer of the Year by the International Center for Photography, and an honorary doctorate from the New School.
ALL HAMMER PUBLIC PROGRAMS ARE FREE. Tickets are required, and are available at the Billy Wilder Theater Box Office one hour prior to start time. Limit one ticket per person on a first come, first served basis. Hammer members receive priority seating, subject to availability. Reservations not accepted, RSVPs not required.
Parking is available under the museum for $3 after 6:00
Carmichael Gallery celebrates Phuong-Cac Nguyen's 'Total Sao Paulo'
May 7, 2009
To celebrate the release off Phuong-Cac Nguyen's new book "Total Sao Paulo," the Carmichael Gallery opens its door to Brazilian culture with complimentary caipirinhas, capoeira demonstrations and performances by Sao Paulo's own Andrea Ferraz. Carmichael Gallery, 1257 N. La Brea Ave., West Hollywood. 3-7 p.m. Sat. (323) 969-0600. www.carmichaelgallery.com.
Santa Monica Festival
The City of Santa Monica presents Santa Monica Festival: Revel with a Cause each spring in Clover Park, located at 2600 Ocean Park Boulevard. Through the performing and visual arts, the Festival honors the unwritten ethnic history of Santa Monica as well as the rich environmental resources that sustain it. Each year the celebration features an eclectic array of traditional and contemporary music and dance on several stages, demonstrations of traditional crafts by local artists, and hands-on art and environmental workshops to engage people of all ages. The Festival is produced by the City of Santa Monica Cultural Affairs Division.
Santa Monica Festival 2009
11:00 am - 6:00 pm