Current openings: General Manager, Board Operator, KPFA Radio UpFront Producer
Pacifica Foundation / KPFA Radio
Location: Berkeley, CA
KPFA is the world's first listener-supported radio station, and the flagship of the Pacifica Network. Our radio signals cover one-third the state of California, broadcasting a mix of music, news, public affairs, and cultural programs -- most of it locally-produced by a large community of staff and volunteers.
UpFront is a mostly-live morning public affairs show that delivers a mix of local, state, and international coverage through engaging interviews, civil debates, breaking updates, and in-depth discussions with authors. We broadcast Monday to Friday from 7 to 8 am on 94.1 FM and at kpfa.org. This producer will have primary responsibility for setting up most days’ shows, with help from the show’s host and interns.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
● Identify topics for interview segments and potential interviewees, with an emphasis on new voices and perspectives
● Participate in daily editorial meetings
● Pre-interview, book, and confirm technical details for program guests
● Compose run sheets for each day’s program
● Post show descriptions in WordPress CMS and social media accounts
● Research and prepare for interviews, including preparing scripts/intros, questions, and transitions (the show’s host will do most prep on their own)
● Edit recorded interviews for length and clarity
● Train and supervise interns
● Help produce fund drive specials
● Occasional field recording and/or reporting
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
● News Judgment: familiarity with current events, ability to identify topics worth covering and how best to approach them. We are particularly interested in candidates who will expand our breadth of coverage by bringing their own background knowledge and community contacts to editorial discussions.
● Writing and communication skills: ability to communicate quickly and clearly with guests, engineers, hosts and interns while working remotely
● Research: ability to quickly assemble background information on interview topics and check facts.
● Preparation: ability to write clean segment introductions, prepare interview questions, anticipate responses, and prepare follow-ups.
● Audio Editing: ability to edit recorded interviews quickly and seamlessly to hit target lengths. Basic multi-track mixing (i.e., creating music beds for carts and billboards)
● Social Media: experience using social platforms to increase reach and audience engagement.
● Grace under pressure: this mostly-live program is produced under deadline pressure. We expect mistakes and breakdowns, and try to learn from them. We also expect members of our team to keep a cool head and kind demeanor when they happen.
● Effective interpersonal and organizational skills, and the ability to think creatively and proactively solve problems
● Teaching / mentoring: KPFA is committed to the ongoing training and development of its staff and volunteers. As you get more skills and experience from working here, you’ll be expected to help others learn, too.
This 40 hour/week non-exempt position is unionized with the Communications Workers of America Local 9415. Current wage is $26.12/hour with annual seniority increases. Generous benefits to commence after a 90-day probation period, including 100% company paid full-family medical and dental, up to 4% employer match 403(b) retirement, 2% employer only contribution 403(b) pension, seniority-based vacation pay starting at three weeks in the first year. Paid parental leave and childcare allowance.
This position is currently remote, because of the COVID pandemic. If we return to hybrid or in-person work, it will be at KPFA’s studios in Downtown Berkeley.
HOURS and SCHEDULE:
● Work hours are somewhat flexible, but most work for this position happens between 9 and 5 on weekdays.
● Occasionally, complex live broadcasts may require support from the producer starting as early as 6:45am.
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resumé, and two samples of audio work. Please email applications to email@example.com
The deadline to apply is EOD on Monday, November 14th, 2022.
Pacifica/KPFA is an equal opportunity employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.
View/Download this document as a PDF HERE
Title: General Manager
Department: KPFK – Radio Station
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Employment Type: Full-Time
FLSA Exemption Status: Exempt
ABOUT PACIFICA FOUNDATION
The Pacifica Foundation is a non-profit agency providing educational services.
The Pacifica Foundation is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Pacifica Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, ethnicity, gender, age, marital status, disability, medical condition, or sexual orientation. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
SUMMARY: KPFK Radio, 90.7 FM Los Angeles, seeks a General Manager with a proven track record of collaborative leadership and vision to provide innovative, highquality, free speech community-based non-commercial radio to a diverse audience in a major media market.
KPFK is licensed to the Pacifica Foundation Inc., founded in 1946 as a nonprofit mission-driven democratic media institution. KPFK was established in 1959 as the second listener-supported radio station in the Pacifica network. Historically, Pacifica invented listener-sponsored broadcasting.
Pacifica is dedicated to education, free speech, peace, social justice, and crosscultural understanding. Pacifica national and local boards include elected delegates of listener and staff members. For details, see https://pacifica.org/ about_mission.php.
KPFK is the strongest FM signal west of the Mississippi, broadcasting at 112,000 watts of power, serving most of Southern California from Santa Barbara to San Diego, webcasting at KPFK.org, with an eclectic mix of public affairs, talk, news, culture, music, and health and spirituality content, including some Spanish language programming.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the capacity to build the station's audience, financial support, and vital role in public discourse, working with paid and volunteer staff, other volunteers, trainees, and democratic governance, to develop effective community engagement using terrestrial broadcasting along with a significant web presence, social media, podcasting, and multimedia production.
Reports To: Pacifica Foundation Executive Director
Collaborates With: Local Station Board
JOB SPECIFICATIONS Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities:
The GM is hired and supervised by the Executive Director (ED) of Pacifica following a search process by the elected KPFK Local Station Board (LSB). This is a full-time exempt management position. The GM works with the KPFK LSB and Pacifica's ED in implementing the Pacifica Mission, and is subject to an annual evaluation by the LSB.
The General Manager is responsible and accountable for overall management and all station operations including programming; finance; budgeting; compliance with all necessary local, state, and Federal laws and regulations, especially FCC compliance; technical operations; facilities management; longterm planning; fund-raising; web and social media presence; public relations; and personnel, supervising a staff of more than 10 FTE employees and more than 200 volunteer staff members. Working with the paid and volunteer staff and a management team, the Local Station Board, and the community, the General Manager is responsible for monitoring and guiding the station.
KPFK GM - Job Description General Manager - Pacifica Radio Financial Accountability and Responsibilities
General Operations/Physical Plant
FCC, CPB, EEO, AG Reports
Other duties as assigned. Job descriptions are subject to change without notice based on the needs of the station and foundation.
Successful Candidates must demonstrate the following:
Understanding of and commitment to the Pacifica Mission. Bachelor's Degree or commensurate experience in related field. Five years of management experience in radio or related media, journalism or nonprofit management required, non-commercial radio preferred. Candidate shall possess excellent management skills and a proven ability to work collaboratively with paid and volunteer staff and governance, to prioritize and to delegate responsibilities appropriately and effectively. Candidate shall possess strong interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to lead and motivate staff and volunteers. Turn around management experience would be a plus. Candidate must be committed to creating a diverse workplace and serving the needs of a diverse audience. Fund- raising experience required. Bilingual English-Spanish desirable.
Physical Abilities: Ability to lift up to 30 lbs., approximately three (3) times per week. Must be able to navigate stairs multiple times during each work shift.
Mental Abilities: Ability to think clearly and manage multiple changing priorities, and remain pleasant and positive. Requires critical thinking and ability to support people with difficult challenges. Requires good judgment.
Requirements: Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the U.S., 21 years of age or older, verification of degree/credentials, satisfactory Background Check, agreeing to uphold all of the Pacifica Foundation Policies and Procedures, Confidentiality Agreement, Policy on Outside Employment, Policy on Prohibiting/Preventing Workplace Violence, Policy to Prohibit Harassment in the Workplace, Policy on Ethics, adhering to Drug-Free Workplace Policy, compliance with Workplace Injury and Illness Prevention Policies, and compliance with HIPAA Rules and Regulations, (by signature).
Compensation: $70-80,000 per annum, DOE: Full Benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and Disability as well as 403b Retirement Plan with Employer match.
The Pacifica Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, nationality, gender, age, disability, or sexuality.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail to:
KPFK GM Search Pacifica Foundation National Office
Attention: Grace Aaron, Search Committee Pro-tem Chair
3729 Cahuenga Boulevard West
Studio City CA 91604-3504
Please be prepared to provide letters of reference upon request.
You will receive an electronic confirmation of the receipt of your application.
The Pacifica Foundation and KPFK are Equal Opportunity Employers
The Pacifica Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, gender, age, disability, or sexuality
Title: BOARD OPERATOR
Pacifica station KPFK is based in North Hollywood, CA is currently seeking applicants for Part time Board Operators for work on live and prerecorded public affairs and cultural broadcasts. The board operator works closely with hosts, producers, the Traffic Coordinator and Production Director to help ensure seamless show transitions, quality broadcasts and the safety of the station’s broadcast license.
Qualifications and abilities:
All new hires must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by date of hire, subject to legally mandated accommodations
Will provide comprehensive training to the right candidate.
For immediate consideration, resumes can be sent to email@example.com
KPFK is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).